Sunday, August 10, 2008

Blogger silently made a change in the layout section

Edit: Everything turned back to normal a while ago. Don't know when, just checked it.

Today, I tried to make some changes on one of my blog's layout on blogspot. I noticed that it was not possible to put something under the header. First, I thought that this was a weakness in my hand-brain coordination. Only a couple of seconds later I realized that I am healthy but there was a change in the layout drag and drop functionality.

I am trying to guess the reasons for that change. Maybe this functionality is abused by some bloggers, who knows? Being able to put something under the header is a good way to bring a different aura to your blog. You could add additional navigation, flickr streams, etc.

On the other hand, when you do this, your blog looks like different than a blog on the first look. Let's confess, blogs do not aim to replace websites. They simply are weblogs.

Anyway, I am not going to defend this decline in functionality. This is a downgrade, a step back in blogger layouts. Maybe this is something temporary. We'll see.